wedding ringsGenerally, both applicants must apply in person together, but there may be exceptions to this requirement.

You can obtain a license at the County where at least one applicants resides. The license can then be used in any of Michigans 83 counties. NOTE: Out-of-state applicants must apply in the county they will be married.

Both applicants must be at 18 years old. Applicants 16-17 years old must have parental consent, a certified copy of the applicant’s birth certificate, and a valid drivers license.

The following original I.D. is required: A birth certificate, drivers license, or state ID for both applicants.

If either applicant has been married before, you may be required to bring Proof of Dissolution.

While no medical exam is required, the county clerk will provide health information when the license is applied for.

There is generally a 3-day waiting period but check with your specific county.

Once the unsigned license is issued it is valid for 33 days from and including the date of application.

The cost of a license is $20.00 for in-state residents and $30.00 for out-of-state residents, payable at time of application.

SPECIAL NOTE: The parent or guardian must be present to sign the consent form for those between 16 & 18 years of age.

Each countys requirements may vary slightly. Please call the County Clerks office in the county you live in and will be married in to verify exact requirements.

For more county information visit